February 19, 2010

Injection class = check!

Today Mr. CB and I went to the injection class to learn how to do the injections for our next cycle. We got there and the nurse brought us back to the conference room and had all the supplies laid out on the table. I found out I will be on follistim, and we're using an injection pen. It was really easy to learn how to use, and I'm confident that Mr. CB and I will be able to figure it all out once we start. When my RE gave me the estimate for the cost of an injectable cycle, she said it would be $1500-$2000. That was definitely a little bit stressful, so we were really excited to find out that the amount we need will be $750. Still a lot of money, but half as much as we thought!

One of my biggest worries is overstimulation. When I asked the nurse what would happen if I had too many follicles, she said the cycle would be cancelled. I didn't know if they would be able to convert to IVF or what. I really don't want to spend over $1000 on meds and doctor visits only to be cancelled at the last minute. The nurse said I would be on 150IU per day for five days. Since I don't have any problems with ovulation or follicle growth I worry that this will be too much. I am just going to trust in the doctor and know that they know best.


The only issue that I don't know if the RE has addressed for my upcoming cycle is my lining. It's bad timing, but my RE that I've been working with is on maternity leave so she didn't have any input on my meds for the next cycle. I asked the nurse today about my lining, and if the follistim will be enough to get it to where it needs to be or if I need to take something else to boost the thickness. She said my doctor is returning from leave on Monday so she will talk to her and find out.


So now it's just a waiting game. I should start my period the first week of March, then I will go in for a baseline ultrasound and get my medication ordered. The amazing thing to me is that I usually don't ovulate until around day 17. But on the follistim, I will take the medicine from cycle day 3 to 7 and then should be ready to trigger! So my 27 day cycle will be cut down to about 19 days. Crazy.


Today when I got home, I checked the mail and I had a package from Worry Bud! She sent me the cutest little penguin, a prayer card to keep in my wallet and a sweet card. With all that she is going through right now with her IVF, I am so thankful that she is also thinking of me and what I'm going through. I love you Worry Bud and am praying for amazing news for you in a couple of weeks!

3 comments:

Worry Bud said...

oh yay! I'm happy you got it! Love u to girl!! :o)

If you do start to have too many follicles, I'm sure they will ask you if you want to convert to IVF, but I also think they will lower your dosage to try & slow you down if they think it's getting out of hand. And I wonder if your RE will put you on baby aspirin for your lining? In any event, GL to you & I am hoping this is IT for you too!

Blessed Bud said...

Awww WB how sweet. CB you are in my T&P's for a successful cycle...

Dandelion Bud said...

Pomegranate juice... i drink 6-8 ounces of it daily, on days when it's too "heavy" for me, I mix it with a tall glass of seltzer for a light spritzer. REAL pomegranate juice - organic, no other ingredients.

My lining last cycle was 16mm at retrieval.

Good luck!

 

Bloomin' Babies Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved Bloomin' Babies Designed by Kate M. Gilbert