November 7, 2009

Product Review - Nature Made Prenatal with DHA

During my first visit to the RE, I was given about 4-5 samples of prescription prenatal vitamins. Each sample contains 5 days worth of vitamins. Some are two pills others are just 1.

Over the next few weeks, I'll post a review of the various prenatal vitamins that I've tried.

Today I will review an OTC (over the counter) Prenatal vitamin made by NatureMade.




Please note: This pill looks huge however, while it is larger than some, it is only about an inch in length and very easy to swallow!

This is the PNV that I've taken until I received the prescription PNV's. I really like this PNV for a few reasons:
  • First, I can buy a 90 count bottle at Costco for about $15
  • I like being able to take 1 pill and be done
  • It is a liquid softgel which I personally feel that my body absorb's it better
  • It contains DHA along with the other important ingredients like Folic Acid and Iron
  • No constipation
  • Easy to swallow
This vitamin contains 800 mcg of Folic Acid, 27 mg of Iron and 200 mg of DHA. Take note however, that this DHA is fish oil based which can raise concerns over mercury.


I have noticed that this vitamin will make my urine very yellow which is an indication that there are a lot of extra vitamins that my body isn't able to absorb completely.

I have found a great resource as well for researching Prenatal Vitamins - http://www.prenatalvitamin.com/ has a wonderful interactive website that allows you to specify the level of folic acid, iron, etc. to narrow down the options. This site includes both over the counter and prescription PNV's! You can purchase any OTC PNV's from their site but the prices seem to be highter than other sites and local stores. For those looking for chewables or vegetarian PNV's, this could be a great resource!

Until next time,
Sunshine Bud



0 comments:

 

Bloomin' Babies Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved Bloomin' Babies Designed by Kate M. Gilbert