September 16, 2009

The pieces are falling into place...

I just got back from my HSG (a hysterosalpingogram) test. I was really, really nervous about the procedure because I read such wildly different accounts about the pain associated with the test. I am a huge WIMP and I always seem to get myself worked up about things like this, but I was proud of how calm I was last night and this morning. Once I got in the room I was a little freaked out, but the nurses and doctor were great and talked me through everything. I took a lot of deep breaths and I'm happy to report that it didn't hurt at all! Some very mild discomfort but that's it. The best news is that my tubes were all clear. This is what it looked like on the monitor when they put the dye in:

Photo Credit

Now I will meet with my doctor to go over everything and decide what the next move will be. From our last visit, I think she will switch me to femara (letrozole) and add in progesterone. I think I'm going to try to wait through next week before I make my appointment since I should ovulate this weekend, and if I make it to next weekend without any spotting there may be some hope for this cycle. I read that there is increased fertility after having an HSG, so that is exciting!

I did call the office manager this morning about the insurance stuff. She was very nice and basically said that what I came in to the office to discuss was infertility and that coding it another way would essentially be fraud. She said my insurance company could request my records and would see my charts and labs and know that I was in for infertility issues. I could push the issue, or find a new doctor, but I am ok with it. I decided yesterday that I needed to get a new attitude about TTC...I need to be less stressed, more go with the flow and trusting that there is a plan for us. Yes, it's a lot of money ($681 in the past three days!) but if this leads to a baby it will all be worth it.



This cartoon cracks me up because when Mr. CB and I were meeting with Dr. M she made a comment about fertility medicine being like voodoo...you just try different things until you find something that works.



Photo Credit

2 comments:

Dandelion Bud said...

I'm glad you're feeling better about it - but the office manager is wrong. I worked for an insurance company and there ARE other ways to code things.

"You came in to talk" is the key to that statement... talking=consultation not infertility.

I've had a lot of fights on my hands, but once I found a doctor who actually cares about the battles we have to go through, I haven't had to pay more than my copays and deductible for any of my diagnostics, because I kept at it, until i received benefits for the coverage that I have.

The treatments and diagnostics just get more expensive from here.

good luck.

Flora Bud said...

OMG, that cartoon is hilarious!!!!!

I hope this weekend is your weekend and do not have to continue this journey. I wish you the best of luck.

 

Bloomin' Babies Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved Bloomin' Babies Designed by Kate M. Gilbert