April 9, 2011

MIA - 9 weeks

I know, I know, I’ve been MIA.  But I have good excuses, really.  Five+ Doctor appointments, end of the quarter at school, and a trip to the ER have meant not a lot of time for blogging.  (And I’ll get there, but yes, everything is fine.)


Since I last posted, we had our ultrasound and were able to find Baby Teacher Bud’s heartbeat.  I was so relieved, and yes, I cried.  That weekend we went down to where our parents live (about an hour away), and told all 3 sets.  The reactions were about how we expected.  Everyone was shocked, but excited.


Since then, life has been a whirlwind.  I’ve had bad “morning” sickness.  Which is really “all day, worst in the evenings, can’t keep anything down” sickness.  I haven’t wanted to spend a whole lot of time on the computer, opting instead for the couch.


The few times I was on my computer, I’ve been actually working.  As I mentioned earlier, our quarter ended at school last week.  This meant a flood of missing work for me to grade, having to post grades and comments to report cards, and making my classroom presentable for parent teacher conferences.


There was some fun in there as well.  I used one of our days without students to announce to the teachers at my school.  I know it’s still early, but our school is so small (about 10 teachers) that we are a really, really close bunch.  Honestly, with most of us meeting this year, it’s been like magic, we just clicked and I consider all of them really good friends, not just coworkers.  Everyone knew about our struggles to conceive, and had been very supportive.  With all the time off I had to take for appointments, I was very lucky to have their support.  Everyone was really excited, and they even bought a “welcome baby” cake, and a stuffed duck that has been keeping me company on the couch.


After parent/teacher conferences, I was at week 8, and that was when the morning sickness became really bad.  We’re talking, lay on the couch, send Mr. Teacher Bud out for popsicles and slimfast because they are all I can keep down, and still throw up 5-6 times a day bad.  I really wanted to avoid drug though.  I can’t even really explain why, but through a week of that (thank goodness for spring break,) I was sure, that if I just rested, and ate my popsicles and slimfast, I could make it through.  I tried B6 after my rheumatologist threatened me with IV fluids, but even that only helped so much.  It got to the point where I was throwing up so much that my stomach and back muscles ached constantly.  Eating just made that pain worse.


Finally, last night, the pain was so bad, that I was afraid to try to eat anything.  At the same time, I stopped being able to keep down my meager, liquid diet.  I broke down and called the on-call doc at my OB’s office, but all they would tell me was to go to the ER.  So that’s where I was until 5am this morning.


They gave me 2 bags of IV fluids, and 2 rounds of IV zofran, but I was so dehydrated that even with that I still felt sick.  They gave me benedryl and raglan which finally gave me enough relief to be able to sleep and keep down fluids.  So now, I am home, and Mr. TB is on his wa back from the pharmacy with a prescription for Zofran.  I’ll call my OB on Monday, but for now, I’ll take the drugs.


I’m at 9 weeks right now, so hopefully it won’t be too long before we can enter the 2nd tri, and put all of this behind us.  Unfortunately, I’m not so sure.  One of the benefits of telling our parents is that I can ask my mom all sorts of questions about her pregnancy.  Unfortunately, it was not all good news – she dealt with morning sickness for the first 5 months!  Oh please let that not be me…


Until next time,

Teacher Bud

EDIT:  I feel like I was whining, which may have also been part of why I hadn't posted.  I am thrilled to be pregnant, m/s an all.  I know how hard it can be to want so much to be pregnant, and to see other people complain about the symptoms you would give anything for, and I never wanted to be that whining person.  My thoughts go out to all of the buds still trying.  I know there's no good thing to say, but there it is. 

0 comments:

 

Bloomin' Babies Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved Bloomin' Babies Designed by Kate M. Gilbert