August 20, 2011

3rd tri, a little scare and shower today!

I can not believe I've made it to the 3rd Tri!  It all seems to be going by so fast, particularly the summer (I'm not ready to go back to school!)  We had an appt on Tuesday with one of our midwives.  We've been rotating through them so that we meet them all.  I don't know that I've talked on here about our birth center too much. 

We're planning on having Baby Teacher Bud at a freestanding Birth Center.  It is not attached or affiliated with any hospital.  They have a very welcoming, friendly, relaxed atmosphere.  They have 2 birthing rooms with birthing tubs, and 1 room they can convert to a birthing room if they need to.  When we went for our tour, they also had a mom there to talk to us who had given birth there 3 times and she just couldn't say enough good things about them.  They have 4 midwives, 3 of whom are certified nurse midwives.  They always have 2 on call, so you always have at least one CNM at a birth.  The appointments are awesome.  You sit and chat, and they give you a full hour of undivided attention!  It's very relaxing and friendly. 

The midwife we've met with the most has been helping moms give birth for longer than I've been alive, and I just love her!  We've been rotating through, and so far we've met with all of them but one, and not a bad vibe from the bunch!  This is such a relief, because I had a huge problem with a pushy OB at my old practice before I switched to the birth center.  I liked everyone else, but the thought that she could be the one on call when the time came made it clear I could not continue there. 

At my 27 week appointment, my blood pressure was a low 92 over 50.  Low even for me!  At the time, little TB was head down, but he's still wiggling all over, so I don't think he's still there.  He was kicking a lot while she was measuring my stomach and listening to the heartbeat.  She called him feisty!  We'll see if we have a feisty one on our hands.  My uterus was measuring 29cm - which is a bit big for the 27w4d that I was.  We'll see, I hope this is not a precursor to a 10lb baby!  I start having my appointments every 2 weeks now, I can't believe we are getting so close!! 

We had a little bit of a scare the last few days.  I went to my rhumatologist for my usual manipulation, and they discovered that my right calf was more swollen than my left, and was tender.  They were "mildly concerned" that it could be a blood clot.  (i.e.  I hear blood clot and proceed to freak out - I may be a bit of an overreacter.) I had to go to the hospital to get an ultrasound of my leg.  I packed a hasty hospital bag just in case (treatment involved being admitted to the hospital) and also in the hopes that murphy's law would work.  You know, like how if you bring an umbrella it won't rain.  Apparently it worked, no blood clot for me!  Whew! 

After that we went to our hometown to meet with a friend of my father-in-laws to talk life insurance.  We certainly have a lot to think about with that!  We're also working on a will.  One of my childhood friends' father is a lawyer, and he agreed to draft it for us. 

Today will be my first shower!  I'm very excited for it, and again, can't believe that we're already here.  It makes everything seem so close!  Though I am ready to really start getting his room ready, so I'm glad that we're having one a little on the early side.  We wanted to do it before I went back to school.  It's going to be a bit of a whirlwind though.  We're leaving tomorrow for a week long vacation to the Niagara area with Mr. Teacher Bud's entire extended family.  Then we get back, and I need to set up my classroom before students come back the following week.  Whew!  It's going to be a busy few weeks around here!

0 comments:

 

Bloomin' Babies Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved Bloomin' Babies Designed by Kate M. Gilbert