January 27, 2011

Introducing Cactus Bud!

Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to be a part of Bloomin' Babies as I think it's a great idea to show the different paths we follow on the road to becoming a parent.

I'm Cactus Bud, chosen because I'm a recent transplant to Southern California. No shortage of cacti out here! I'm here in California courtesy of Mr. Cactus Buds job with the military. Before moving here, we lived in Virginia, but we're both from New England originally. We knew each other in high school, but were just friends. We started dating around the time of our 10 year reunion. We've been together more than 5 years now, married for about a year and a half of that. As you probably gathered from the numbers I just mentioned, we're in our mid-thirties, which is adding to our desire to start our family sooner rather than later.

I guess our TTC journey began in December 2009 when I went off the pill. Within weeks of that the military sent Mr. Cactus Bud went on a little trip which ultimately led to us living apart for upwards of 8 months. I used the time apart to learn how to chart and to let my body acclimate from coming off the pill. Thankfully my body adjusted to being off the pill quickly, becoming relatively predictable (avg ~29 days) within a couple months. We were reunited in September 2010, and that's where our TTC journey began in earnest.

We got our first BFP at the end of our second cycle trying (November 2010). I hadn't really been charting that month and was pretty surprised as I didn't think we'd timed things well at all. About a week after the BFP, near the 5 week point in the pregnancy, I had a miscarriage. I'm sure I'll discuss the loss more in a future post, so for now I'll just say it was a heart wrenching experience that I hope nobody reading this ever has to have.

I was very lucky in that my body miscarried both spontaneously and completely, allowing me to not need surgery and to TTC again after just one cycle. I was also lucky in that my body didn't miss a beat in getting back to a normal cycle. There have been some changes to my cycle since the loss, namely that I'm apparently ovulating a little later and have a shorter luteal phase. Its apparently pretty common for there to be such changes, and my doctor says the luteal phase length should be fine.


I'm currently in the midst of my second cycle TTC after a loss and am finding it a much different experience mentally than before the loss.



I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you all.


Take care,

5 comments:

Explorer Bud said...

Good luck and I hope that you are able to get pregnant quickly, it definately adds stress to TTC after having a miscarriage.

Cactus Bud said...

Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and am wishing you the best of luck in February!

PB&J Bud said...

From one newbie blogger to another I want to say I wish you nothing but the best! I am excited to follow your TTC journey!

Magnolia Bud said...

Welcome! I'm so sorry to hear about your loss--I'm hoping you get your take-home baby very soon!

Cactus Bud said...

Thank you both!

I'm sorry to hear about your losses as well. As sad as I am any of us had to have a loss, I'm glad you're on here as well sharing your stories.

Here's hoping that 2011 is our year for our take-home babies!

 

Bloomin' Babies Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved Bloomin' Babies Designed by Kate M. Gilbert