November 5, 2010

I demand a recount!

I love my baby. Smudge is going to come out, come hell or high water. If I have anything to say about it, the birth will be med-free and my doula will be a huge source of support for me.

To that end, I specifically requested a 6 1/2 pound child.

I don't think that was out of line - i've been through a lot to get this far, and i figure the least I deserve is a relatively easy birth.

So - to find out today that Smudge (at 35w2d) is measuring about 5 pounds and 12 ounces... well, I almost fell off the ultrasound table. Now, before you start telling me how those measurements can be way off and blahblahblah... yes I know. I'm not completely delusional. However, you also have to remember that IVF pregnancies are frequently monitored a lot more closely, and i've had a LOT of measurements done. Most done by the same sonographer at the perinatologist. So, this isn't just based off of one growth scan. This is based off of many scans in the last 5 months.

I can also tell you that we saw, very clearly, one big fat thigh, when he was measuring the femur today. No chicken legs on this kid. I just hope some of it is in his/her cheeks as well!

35 week 2 day belly shot. We forgot to take one wednesday when I turned.

Anyway - measurement wise, everything looks great. Head is measuring 35w3d, femur 35w3d and abdomen 35w5d. Baby had a full bladder today - but hey - so did mom, so that's fine. Smudge is DEFINITELY head down, but not engaged in my pelvis yet. That feeling in my ribs - i was right - it's not a foot. It's a butt. I kept telling DH it was WAY too big to be a foot. However, feet... straight down - like reverse breech. At least during the u/s when we saw a foot right by Smudge's mouth. Hands were balled up in little fists on either side of the face. But, as I'm typing, they're tapping on my cervix and I have some weird movements kind of on my liver, so who knows where this kid's extremities are now!

So, right now, Smudge is positioned really well. Head down, butt up, and body kind of everywhere. S/he certainly is big enough.

We also picked our pediatrician today. It was a really close contest; there were two that we loved. But it came down to convenience, and one just had better hours and was much closer. So - we're just about ready. Sometime in the next 5 weeks, I'm going to be a mom.

Holy crap.

4 comments:

Planner Bud said...

Wow...I remember when you were still trying. I can't believe how the time flies. I can't wait to meet little Smudge and your story continually gives me hope. GL on your last few weeks.

Dandelion Bud said...

i'm glad that I give you hope. I can't believe how fast this has gone either!

Blueberry Bud said...

Wow, you're getting so close--really exciting! Sounds like everything is going great.

kaley said...

hi! new follower - i found you on The Nest! wishing you a 6 and a half pound baby :)

 

Bloomin' Babies Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved Bloomin' Babies Designed by Kate M. Gilbert