April 25, 2010

National Infertility Awareness Week

April 24-May 1 is National Infertility Awareness Week (NIAW). NIAW is a movement to raise awareness about the disease of infertility, which affects more then 7.3 million people of childbearing age in the United States. I am one of them. Please take time to learn more about the struggle those of us have to endure to have families. (Taken from the Resolve website)

Thank you for all the support you have given to me. I really do appreciate it.

I'm not out to more than a handful of people in real life. I would be, but my husband would definitely not go for it. I respect his wishes.

But if anyone who is on facebook wants to follow suit, some of the stronger girls I know on the infertility forum on The Bump are putting the following statements in their status updates for the coming week.

If you have infertility, or know someone who does, spread the word.

1) Infertility is not limited to women. Infertility is not all in your head. Infertility is not limited to unhealthy people. Infertility is not limited to older couples. Infertility is not going to go away if you just “relax & go on vacation.” Adopting will also not take infertility away like Charlotte on Sex and the City.

2) Because 1 in 8 is someone you know. resolve.org/takecharge

3) More than 7.3 million people of childbearing age in the United States experience infertility.

Or you can make up your own!

This is an awesome blog about infertility etiquette and awareness from the bump. I hope you'll take the time to read it.

1 in 8 IS someone you know. Spread the word.





2 comments:

Worry Bud said...

Thank you so much for posting this DB - I was actually going to post something today, but saw you did. IF is something most people don't take time to educate themselves about & the fact that 1 in 8 people experience it means (as you mentioned) that someone (or several someones) everyone knows has suffered the heart break of IF.

On behalf of the Worry Bud's, I'd also like to thank everyone who has supported me/us throughout our journey.

Katie said...

Aw, thanks for highlighting my blog post from last year's NIAW. I guess I should repost it as well. I am glad you are finding strength to spread the word this year.

Katie

 

Bloomin' Babies Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved Bloomin' Babies Designed by Kate M. Gilbert